Saturday, February 12, 2011

Keeping It Real

January was one long month...and February started out chaotic as well. This post will probably be just as long as the past month! A few weeks ago, one of the blogger mommies that I follow posted a blog about how some mom's only post the cutsie stuff their kids do...well, I thought I would dedicated this entry to keeping it real. As I said, a lot of things happened this past month.

Of coarse, many good things happened this month; but one of the stories I will share with you didn't start out so dandy. When I turned 40, I was petrified to get the good ole' mammogram done...actually, I but it off for 6 months! Then, when I lost a great friend to breast cancer in October, the fearful event went a little higher on my to-do list. Not being able to get into the radiologist until January didn't bother me that much as I really wasn't excited about getting my boob smashed! So the day came, I was mildly FREAKED out but composed myself to get the procedure done. Panic started in once I got a LETTER...not a PHONE CALL saying that I needed to come in for additional testing. That may have been the longest week of my life. Rocking my little guy to sleep was very difficult as the thought in the back of my head was not a positive one (yeah, I was pretty much scared to death). Reading bedtime stories and playing Ironman with Eli brought tears to my eyes, but I knew I had to be strong. One of the hardest things to do was to tell Rob (his mom had passed away from cancer before I met him). Tears, tears, and more tears....then came the additional images at the Radiology place. Within five minutes, they came back to say that wanted to do an ultrasound on a specific area...I was behind nervous. So, as I lay on the bed, with the ultrasound person doing their thing, I prayed and prayed to God and to my amazing friend Amy Fisher as I knew she was watching over me. Another nerve-racking four days went by before I found out the most GLORIOUS news. The ultrasound didn't show anything, but I do need to get rechecked in six months. Going to church that following Sunday was tough! God is an amazing man and I thank the lucky stars that he blessed me with a clean bill of health.

Having a son with ADHD can be very challenging at times! He needs a lot of reassurance that he is making the right choices. Along with asking/rephrasing hundreds of questions on a daily basis, he is constantly on the move. He has taught himself how to do cartwheels, somersaults, and a handstand (close enough to call it one!) On night, the boys were playing Madagascar. Eli was hiding in a box (aka the laundry basket); Jace was heading towards him...then met in the middle. Jace starts screaming, so I take one look at his face only to notice that the basket caught his eye. He now has a nice raspberry...I tell you, this kiddo has the worst luck with injuries! Eli felt very bad that Jace got hurt but honestly, it was an accident.

No comments: